I think there may be some confusion regarding "protected".

Perhaps OA29193 will shed some light on the High Performance ICSF Secure
key.

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/s390/zos/racf/pdf/oa29193.pdf

Of course routines coded to directly exploit CPACF are pretty much always
going to run circles around ICSF+CEX3.

Even adding ICSF into the mix of CPACF is still going to be extremely fast.

Phil's point about the amount of data is extremely important.  Any CEX#
related stuff is effectively a queuing mechanism.

The high performance gives you the benefits of ICSF with the benefits of
storing the wrapped keys in HSA.  AFAIK CPACF by itself will never give you
keys that are truly secure... but it is fast and is worthy of the trade-off
... specially for things like SSL / TLS.

Personally, I think using the High Performance is a stellar idea... a nice
blend that should give some very real performance benefits for symmetric
key users without sacrificing the key material.

Now.. if someone wants to correct me.  I am all for it.  Just site the
relevant documentation... and I will happily join you in your understanding.

Rob Schramm
Senior Systems Consultant
Imperium Group