As a concept, I would copy the first record to a new dataset (using sort) and expand the record by one character - a blank. In a second OUTFIL statement I would expand all of the other records by the same 1 character - a blank.

Then I would JOIN the two expanded datasets using the added blank as the key. I would tell the JOIN that the records are already sorted. Then in the JOIN's REFORMAT statement you can add the field from the one record file to where ever you want in all of the records.

You can decide if the first record record should be in both expanded files or not (I would think so).

Ken Leidner                     kleid...@earthlink.net