Von: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] Im Auftrag
von Tom Ambros
Gesendet: Montag, 9. Juli 2012 16:22
An: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Betreff: Re: Secure Encryption Keys vs Protected Keys

Phil Smith wrote:

"Yes, Protected Key requires ICSF and a CEX."

Should that not read  "Yes, Secure Key requires ICSF and a CEX."?

Blatant plagiarism follows from my copy of the z196 Tech Guide, Section
6.2.2 'CPACF Protected key':

"The zEnterprise CPCs support the protected key implementation. Since
PCIXCC
deployment, secure keys are processed on the PCI-X and PCIe cards,
requiring an
asynchronous operation to move the data and keys from the general purpose
CP to the
crypto cards. Clear keys process faster than secure keys because the
process is done
synchronously on the CPACF. Protected keys blend the security of Crypto
Express3
coprocessors (CEX3C) and the performance characteristics of the CPACF,
running closer to
the speed of clear keys.

An enhancement to CPACF facilitates the continued privacy of cryptographic
key material
when used for data encryption. In Crypto Express3 coprocessors, a secure
key is encrypted
under a master key, whereas a protected key is encrypted under a wrapping
key that is
unique to each LPAR. After the wrapping key is unique to each LPAR, a
protected key cannot
be shared with another LPAR. CPACF, using key wrapping, ensures that key
material is not
visible to applications or operating systems during encryption operations.

CPACF code generates the wrapping key and stores it in the protected area
of hardware
system area (HSA). The wrapping key is accessible only by firmware. It
cannot be accessed
by operating systems or applications. DES/T-DES and AES algorithms were
implemented in
CPACF code with support of hardware assist functions. Two variations of
wrapping key are
generated, one for DES/T-DES keys and another for AES keys."

Note that CPACF generates the wrapping key and the use of the term
'protected key' in this context.  Thus my confusion, I am not entirely
sure that the CEX hardware is required in this case.  I see the
distinction that is drawn between 'secure key' and 'protected key' and I
believe it is significant.

Thomas Ambros
Operating Systems and Connectivity Engineering
518-436-6433

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It
is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing
or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic
personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose
such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which
you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from
Key
send an e-mail to mailto:dnereque...@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in
the
SUBJECT line.