John,

I don't think that there is any cultural or philosophical difference between
mainframe or distributed/workstation developers, given the same number
of years of experience and skill etc. - I know hundreds of them - both species,
and I myself am doing - and teaching - both.

The difference must be at the technical side. If you are forced to fix some
errors to get your code into production, you will do it - so the errors that show up during testing stage will be fixed in the one case and will not be fixed in the other. Same story is about compiler warnings - if they prohibit a successfull
build, they will be respected by the coders, but if it's only a warning and
the object code is built anyway, the warnings will be ignored by most people -
at least that's what I see most of the time. So if you want some messages
during the development process to be respected, you must prohibit the
build process. Otherwise they will be ignored ...

Kind regards

Bernd