Shmuel Metz asks:
>Can you log on to TSO foreground with an 8-character userid using the
>LDAP client, or do you need TDS for that?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll attempt an answer.

1. Unaided, TSO/E supports up to 7 character user IDs.

2. Note that you are not required to use TSO/E user IDs as user IDs. That
is, one ID might not necessarily be associated with one and only one human.

3. TSO/E is a part of z/OS, but most people who use z/OS these days
probably aren't using TSO/E.

4. TSO/E still runs lots of important applications that must not break, and
that's evidently the primary reason why #1 hasn't changed. However...

5. You can place practically anything you wish in front of TSO/E in a
variety of ways to provide additional security challenges before granting
access to TSO/E. In other words, you can control access to all TSO/E "on
ramps." (One possible way is to use Certificate Express Logon.)

6. You can have additional security checks within your TSO/E applications
if you wish in a variety of ways, such as exits.

7. You can accomplish #6 with the ingredients available with your base z/OS
license if you wish. (Certificate Express Logon may require the z/OS
Security Server.)

Timothy Sipples
Resident Enterprise Architect (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com