At 18:18 -0500 on 07/22/2012, Ed Gould wrote about Re: Submitting a requirement for z/OS to at least acknowled:

I think the problem is that in z/OS there is no "one" way of notification (I know you are asking for one). There are at least 2 (3 if you count z) commands to "stop an application", "P" and ,technically "F" I know F is usually modify but it is also used as stop. All the applications would have to be re-written. An interface would have to be created (again programs would have to be altered and or re-written). I am not against it per se it would be a few years to implement I am sure. Plus there is an issue of timing on how things happen. I smell an ugly up rising.

Ed

I do not think that he is requesting that the interrupt has to trigger a MVS Shut-Down - Only that when the interrupt occurs that the system acknowledge that it has occurred and respond to it somehow. A suggestion in his request was that a console message be issued to alert the operator and (if one exists) the message handling operations package. The Message would go to the master consoles and would be flagged as non-scrollable. That meets he defined request.