Tom, I cant find that post from Karthick anywhere ......

Ok, here's what I can remember ;-) about VNL exit ....

hsm avoids the VNL exit being called because it does its own checking before
attempting dynamic allocation of a system managed volume. It knows from its own
volume record that the volume is system managed, and checks residency before
allocation attempted.  So, for hsm's processing there is nothing a product like
rmm can do in VNL exit to help .....
So any SYSZTIOT ENQ is purely something to address to hsm.

I did one-time suggest they changed the processing so there was a common path
via VNL to resolve the error situation ....

cheers, Mike