If Paul Gilmartin's contention were correct auditors would be
dispensable, replaceable by a program.  In fact they are retained to
exercise professional judgment, and the standard language in which
they sign off on financial results reflects this unambiguously.

They are not automata and cannot be excused for behaving like
automata.  Equally, they should be maligned not for making
professional judgments but only for the quality of such a judgment
when it is deficient.

Implicit in my earlier comments was my rejection of this thread's
title.  Auditors, like programmers, come in different competences.

--jg