<snip>

> TMS was replaced with RMM, which of course does not have
> support for VM/CMS and to make it worse, RMM uses a VSAM
> file, which cannot even be read currently on VM/CMS.  I
> created a QSAM extract file from RMM and a QSAM "Index" file,
> (that contained the tape volser and record number in the
> extract file), so the "Index" could be read from VM/CMS to
> calculate the TTR to use with the extract file.  The extract
> and "Index" file are updated every 30 minutes so the data is
> not "live" like it was with the TMC.  It's a kludge, but what
> else can you do when IBM doesn't support their operating
> systems equally and they don't understand the concept of
> sharing data between different systems.
>
> --
> Dale R. Smith

Just out of curiosity, what about writing an STC on z/OS to do the RMM command
necessary to get the information you need. In addition, write a CMS program
which uses some communication method (TCPIP? Perhaps HTTP protocol) to run the
command to z/OS. I don't know how well that would work, in terms of response
time. Perhaps, if on the same CEC, you could use a HiperSocket connection
rather than actually hitting the LAN via an OSA (or other). Or maybe even do an
LU0, LU2, or LU6 connection. If you actually *like* VTAM.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group