In-line response.

On 08/14/2012 08:58 AM, McKown, John wrote:
Just a guess on my part, but the OP may know that Linux runs natively on many hardware systems:
i386, x86_64, Power, i, and z. He may have been wondering if z/OS could also run on multiple
architectures. Of course, on reason that Linux runs on so many architectures is thanks to GNU's GCC
being ported to so many and the fact that the majority of Linux is written in C. I was always
wondering if IBM could convert z/OS to another architecture by changing the "back end" of
PL/S (or whatever it's called now, I just don't seem to be able to remember, don't flame me,
please) along with an HLASM which take z instructions and "assembles" then into the
equivalent in another architecture.

Even assuming that most of z/OS were written in some higher-level language, just changing the compiler code generation to do the same data structure manipulations using machine instructions on a different architecture wouldn't do much for functionality, because so many of those data structures manipulated within the guts of the operating system (e.g., page/segment tables, Program Call tables, PSWs, Control Registers, channel programs, etc.) are intimately related to the z/OS architecture and cease to have any meaning outside the context of z/OS architecture; not to mention that some of the z architecture hardware instructions invoked within z/OS are exceedingly complex and may have no simple counterpart in other architectures.

I'm sure parts of Linux having to do with virtual memory, I/O, hardware control, and hardware context switching have to be completely rewritten for different hardware architectures as well, but my impression is that Linux design philosophy has long included multi-platform support and this constrains the design and to what extent and where hardware dependences are allowed.

MVS and its successors have never been intended for anything other than S/360 and its successor architectures, and there are 50 years of a symbiotic relationship between hardware and software where major hardware enhancements have been made just to support specific functionality more efficiently or more securely in MVS or major MVS subsystems like CICS or DB2; and major enhancements have been added to MVS just to exploit new hardware features. Those hardware/software interdependences are so thoroughly diffused throughout z/OS and its major subsystems that I would suspect attempting to make z/OS run on any other architecture is unrealistic.
  J C Ewing

Along these lines, "mainframe" does not always mean "IBM z" system. There are vendors who consider
an Itanium to be a "mainframe". Personally, I liked whatever it was they ran in Eureka! "If you can't
crawl around inside it, it's not a mainframe!"

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group