It all depends but
In general IMS upgrades are easy as IMS is not tightly bound to the data.

The first upgrade beyond V9 is often not easy.
It was at V10 that IMS required security to be managed by an external security
package like RACF.
Prior to that IMS internal security called SMU was an option as well as default
security.
As an historical asside many early IMS shops did not use default security
because it was too restrictive.

An IMS upgrade beyond V9 is difficult to the extent that SMU is used.

Avram Friedman