I am fairly risk adverse. Given the environment here with "pain points"
associated with incidents such as abends, corrupted data, and so on, it only
makes sense. But I prefer PDSE to PDS. I used to keep all my personal data in
PDSEs. I now keep the majority of my data in z/OS UNIX files, where such is use
reasonable to me. That is, basically, where I used to use PDSE libraries. The
only thing I really don't keep in UNIX files are compiled non-UNIX programs.
Mainly because I can't put a UNIX subdirectory in my STEPLIB.

There are some good, to me, reason for my use of UNIX files instead of legacy
libraries.

1) People here are reactionary and don't use "new" facilities often. So they
don't look for my stuff in UNIX. So I don't need to explain why I have stuff
and why I don't let them look at it. (all my data sets are UACC(NONE) with only
select groups in the access list).

2) I like many of the UNIX utilities. Even as poorly as they are implemented by
IBM vs. the GNU versions. I especially like grep, awk, and sed for text
manipulation. For more difficult manipulation, I like Perl. And I've had the
arguments with another that TSO/ISPF/REXX can, as they put it, "do the same
things and do it more easily". I disagree, but "to each his own". I will admit
that I really don't like "vi" very much. The PDF editor is much better. But I
can use it to edit UNIX files, so there's no reason to avoid them.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group