>> But 'search engines' are for entertainment purposes - an  industry runs on
>>science and engineering, not art and entertainment.

Wow, is this some kind of alternate universe thing?

Date:    Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:22:17 +0100
From:    CM Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk>
Subject: Re: ISPF Panel and LPAR name

... because it is moving back towards suppressing intelligence (as Mao
Tse Tung did in China, in the 1960s). We should not all be obliged to
look at pictures just because the majority of people cannot read.

Yes, I understand the usefulness of Google's query completion etc. But
'search engines' are for entertainment purposes - and industry runs on
science and engineering, not art and entertainment.

You need to type the dataset name on every ISPF panel only because you
are still invoking IBM's 'demo' (now default/'de facto') panels.

You can bypass ISR@PRIM at logon and display your own panels instead -
then store, retrieve and display in them the datasets you want to
access, e.g. by a VGET (<all DSNs>) on initial display of your panels
and by a VPUT to save them (and any changes to them) on exit, from/to
your profile pool. If you then take copies of the default ISPF panels,
add to them the name of a variable which contains the DSN you want to
process (and that is stored in your panels, e.g. &DSNA) - and you then
save these modified ISPF panels in a dataset concatenated ahead of the
default one on ISPPLIB - they will now be the ones that are displayed.
If you next create TSO commands (in a table in ISPTLIB) which are
associated with the ISPF functions you want to invoke (passing e.g.
&DSNA to them), then issue your TSO commands (e.g. 'BR' for Browse or
'ED' for Edit etc.), your modified ISPF panels will now contain your
selected DSN. If you set PANELID ON, you will see the names of which
panels you need to copy and modify. Admittedly, there is a bit more to
it than that; but I'm sure you can figure it out.

BTW Bear in mind that Google now tracks everywhere you go on the web ...
and then sells your info to advertisers <wry grin>:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2105435/Three-simple-steps-delete-Google-browsing-history--late.html

Cheers, Chris Poncelet