scott_j_f...@yahoo.com (Scott Ford) writes:
> I saw the same exercise in a pharm. company trying to go from MVS,
> multiple Lpars to unix.  Several millions of $$$ and it was a
> bust....some applications were difficult to convert

in the 90s, one of the biggest efforts was by the financial industry
(large concentration in manhatten) to move from overnight batch window
to straight-through process ... using large numbers of "killer micros"
... where several billions were dumped down the drain. These efforts
contributed to the "mainframe is dead" stories from the period.

"real-time" transactions had been added to traditional batch ... but the
actual processing was still being down in the overnight batch window.
With globalization, there was combination of more work as well as
decreasing window size ... that was putting enormous pressure on the
paradigm.

billions were spent on parallized implementation using large numbers
"killer micros" implementing "straight-through" processing
... eliminated most of the work in the overnight batch window. They used
some parallelization technology with roll-your-own implementations that
looked good in the toy demos. However, they failed to so the
speeds&feeds and when it came to production rollout ... the whole thing
imploded horribly. The parallelization technology being used introduced
an increase in overhead of 100 times (compared to cobol batch)
... totally swamping any anticipated throughput increase from large
number of "killer micros"

I had done some simple speeds&feeds and pointed out the issue before
deployments but was ignored. I also got to work on improving performance
of cobol batch that ran everynight batch window on more than 40 maxed
out mainframes (40+ needed to handle workload, datacenter took pride in
saying no mainframe was older than 18months).

At least by the last half of the last decade, most of the major
non-mainframe RDBMS vendors (including IBM) had made significant strides
in non-mainframe RDBMS cluster-scaleup. I participated in demonstration
of straight-through processing implementations that involved translating
operations into fine-grain SQL operations that would could be easily
parallelized by latest generation of non-mainframe RDBMS cluster
implementations (more like factor of 3-5 times compared to cobol batch
rather than 100 times). The financial industry standards organizations
were interested but there were lots of comments there was still enormous
resistance and risk aversion because of the lingering effects of the 90s
disastrous failures.

these large financial institutions continue to be major mainframe
customer market.