john.mck...@healthmarkets.com (McKown, John) writes:
> CA-7 has a similar function to run "cross platform" work. It requires
> a "daemon" be running on the remote side. <WARNING type="plug">I like
> Co:Z Launcher from Dovetailed Technologies to do this. It only
> requires a standard SSH server on the remote end. And I can afford it
> (it is zero cost.) </WARNING>

part of the issue is the MVS evolved from a paradigm where people
submitted card decks and the actual execution occured at much later
period ... with at most an operator present ... the responsible person
was no where around. the unix & desktop platforms evolved from the exact
opposite paradigm ... the computer was directly interacting with the
person executing the application. those platforms have had to do quite a
bit of evolution to handle server&unattended operation.

however, there has some interesting evolution on their server side
... the megadatacenters with hundreds of thousands of blades (and
millions of processors) with provisioning for on-demand use is quite
remarkable ... I doubt if anybody is claiming current mainframe
operating systems are prepared to run several hundred thousand blades in
a megadatacenter ... including allowing an entity to do on-demand,
dynamically provision 17,000 cores for 240TFLOPs (for a "batch"
supercomputer) @ $1,2479/hr. recent posts mentioning somebody doing just
that with Amazon cloud:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#78 Has anyone successfully migrated off
mainframes?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#80 Article on IBM's z196 Mainframe
Architecture
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#82 Has anyone successfully migrated off
mainframes?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#28 New IBM mainframe instructions
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#30 New IBM mainframe instructions

for one thing, a single mega-datacenter is estimated to be more
processing power than the aggregate of all mainframes in the world
today.

This article from last year
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-57349321-62/amazon-takes-supercomputing-to-the-cloud/

The dynamic, on-demand amazon cloud "supercomputer" is compared to the
Fujitsu K Computer ... that operates at 10 petaflops (10,000tflops), has
864 racks, 88,128 interconnected processors and estimated total
provisioned cost of $20M (less than maxed out 80 processor z196 @ $28M,
rated at 50BIPS); $23,148/rack, $227/processor, $2000/TFLOP, $2/BFLOP,
113BFLOP/processor, 11,576TFLOP/rack ... 102processors/rack

By comparison, 80 processor z196 @28M and 50BIPS works out to
$350,000/processor, $560,000/BIPS, and 624MIPS/processor.

more recent article about on-demand, dynamic, amazon supercomputer
http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/04/4829-per-hour-supercomputer-built-on-amazon-cloud-to-fuel-cancer-research/

from above:

It ran for three hours on the night of March 30, at a cost of $4,828.85
per hour. Getting up to 51,132 cores required spinning up 6,742 Amazon
EC2 instances running CentOS Linux. This virtual supercomputer spanned
the globe, tapping data centers in four continents and every available
Amazon region, from Tokyo, Singapore, and Sao Paolo, to Ireland,
Virginia, Oregon, and California. As impressive as it sounds, such a
cluster can be spun up by anyone with the proper expertise, without
talking to a single employee of Amazon.

... snip ...

Not sure what an EC2 instance is made of for this (&/or if they are all
the same), an e5-2600 would have 16 cores and 6742 instances would be
aggregate of 107,872 cores (aka processors).

past posts in thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#16 X86 server
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#18 X86 server
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#19 X86 server