On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Alvaro Guirao Lopez
<alvarogui...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I did'nt see it, but I understand EC12 means Enterpise Class 12 (why 12?)

12 comes after 11, and while the z196 wasn't called the z-anything-11, it
logically was. I think we can safely consider the z196 naming convention to
be an aberration, hopefully not to be repeated (although these are the same
folks who brought us the "Magic Box" and "Super Human Software" campaigns,
so anything's possible).

>That could be the reason mainframezone had chaged the name to Enterprise
>Class.

Hm? Thomas Publications aka Enterprise Systems Media changed Mainframe
Executive to Enterprise Executive, and z/Journal to Enterprise Tech Journal.
"Enterprise Class" was IBM's name for the big machines since the z9
machines. (As opposed, of course, to "Business Class", which always struck
me as funny, since IBM essentially co-opted the name "enterprise" to be
synonymous with "business" back in 1990 with the ESA announcement. Reminds
me of a meeting I was in once, where a marketroid was describing something
about support options. "Suppose we have three levels of support", he began.
"Basic, Standard, and.um" - he paused to think of a third name. "Regular?" I
suggested, which got me a dirty look!)

I believe the Thomas changes were to broaden the publications' appeal,
acknowledging the reality that nobody is *just* a mainframe shop any more.
With the zBX, even that hypothetical all-mainframe shop isn't necessarily
that any more.

.phsiii