Gil,

UTF-16 is used in Java (and other languages) as the internal representation
of characters and strings (each character represented by two bytes).
UTF-8 continues to gain ground as a standard external encoding.  Makes
sense to want to accelerate conversion between the two (which is not
trivial :-)

I assume that the CPACF Co-processor assists with UTF8-16 conversion
instructions, as well as compression instructions.   I guess that somehow
IBM considers this "crypto" since its on the crypto co-processor.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com