john.mck...@healthmarkets.com (McKown, John) writes:
> Why am I getting a vision of Medusa?  Or perhaps a sea anemone?
> Tentacles reaching out to entrap prey. Pity the small servers in the
> room, getting lashed with FICON cables. <GRIN>

IBM 1991 (power) cluster scaleup with fiber-channel (FICON is layered on
top of base fiber-channel standard) was in fact code-named *MEDUSA*
... old email (fiber-channel was common use in non-mainframe long before
FICON):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#medusa

the cluster scaleup for commercial (128 systems), also referenced here
regarding early jan1992 meeting in ellison's conference room
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

as part of IBM's ha/cmp product ... old posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp

mainframe DB2 were complaining that if I was allowed to continue, it
would be a minimum of five years (if not decades) ahead of them.  the
issue was this predated IBM's non-mainframe DB2 products, so had to go
to other vendors to get RDBMS on IBM's non-mainframes. These vendors
tended to have relatively common source base for both their vax-cluster
and unix platforms ...  so the issue was to adapt their vax-cluster
support to unix platform and scale it up.

possibly within hrs of the last "medusa" email end of jan92, the
cluster-scaleup was transferred and we were told that we couldn't work
on anything with more than four processors. A couple weeks later, it was
announced as supercomputer for numerical intensive only ...  press from
17Feb1992 for *scientifica nd technical only*
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001n.html#6000clusters1
another press item fro 11May1992
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001n.html#6000clusters2

nearly 20yrs later ... "From the Annals of Release No Software Before
Its Time" (Power DB2 with cluster of 100 systems)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#43

rebranded pureScale ...
http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/28593.wss

current tpc-c (rdbms) results/rankings