Since dataset can have 16 (or 123) extents on a volume (or another
limit like 64K tracks), I like to recommend 1/16 or (1/123) of the
volume's capacity as the primary and secondary allocation amount.  If
an additional extent is added next to the last extent, the space is
added to the previous extent.

--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA