paulgboul...@aim.com (Paul Gilmartin) writes:
> And here, I find myself in rare agreement with John G.'s view
> (if I understand correctly).  A char[] containing no \0 is a perfectly
> valid array of char.  It is not a string, by C's convention, and there
> is no requirement that a char[] represent a string.

in the 90s, C-language string related buffer exploits were top of
internet attacks. I've been on campaign about this for long time.
lots of past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subintegrity.html#overflow

the mainframe TCP/IP stack from the 80s was done in vs/pascal and had
none of the C-language buffer length related problems. The
implementation had a few other performance issues ... getting
44kbytes/sec thruput using nearly whole 3090 processor. I did the
changes for RFC1044 support and in some performance tests at cray
research got channel media thruput between 4341 and cray using only
modest amount of 4341 processor
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#1044

also, air force performance evaluation of Multics (implemented in PLI)
noted that it had no buffer length related problems. Old post about
IBM Research update of the Air Force Multics study
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002l.html#42 Thirty Years Later: Lessons from the
Multics Security Evaluation

This is post about analysis I did of the Mitre CVE exploit database
... looking for ways to improve my merged security taxonomy & glossary
(and how you do you structure thinking about security)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004e.html#43 security taxonomy and CVE

I suggested to mitre that they start requiring reports to have a little
more structured information since they were quite free-form at the time.
Their response was that they were lucky to get reports in any form at
all ... adding structure form requirements afraid some people would just
not do the report (although they have since started advising about more
structure in the reports). Later , NIST came out with analysis that
exploits were approx. nearly 1/3rd buffer related, 1/3rd automated
script execution, and 1/3rd social engineering (with various other
misc.).

I periodically mention this meeting in ellison's conference room
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

a couple weeks later cluster scaleup is transferred and we are told we
couldn't work on anything with more than four processors ... motivating
us to leave. A couple of the other people mentioned in the meeting, later
leave and show up at small client/server startup responsible for
something called "commerce server". We get brought in as consultants
because they want to do payment transactions on the server, the startup
had also invented this technology called "SLL" they want to use, the
result is now frequently called "electronic commerce".

Part of the deployment for "electronic commerce" was developing
something called a "payment gateway" ... sits on the internet and
handles transactions between webservers and the payment networks (we
periodically refer to it as the original SOA). misc. past posts
mentioning payment gateway
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#gateway

Part of protection for the payment gateways there are multiple layers of
firewalls and other kinds of filters. A common internet attack is long
strings ... attempting to leverage buffer-overflow vulnerabilities found
in about anything implemented in C-language ... so part of the
intermediate security layers are checks for excessive long strings.

We also have do do audits/reviews of SSL, digital certificates,
certificate issuing authorities, etc ... and come up with some
requirements about how things are deployed. Almost immediately the
requirements are violated and we start referring to it as "comfort
security" (aka security that provides feeling of comfort to all the
users).