If a user has write access to a PDS with LRECL=80, such as his ISPF profile
dataset, he can store anything he wants in it, including an object module
which he could build on the fly using ISPF Edit.  If he then has execution
access to the Linkage Editor, he can execute this module.  I don't think
RACF can prevent this.  So I wonder what kind of preventive automated
control the auditor (or check list author) is looking for.  It is probably
just a boiler plate requirement because it sounds so reasonable in theory.

The finding does not say the controls don't exist; only that they are not
documented.  I think the easiest response is to take a very specific
interpretation of "software installation" and document how all system
dataset, APF libraries, and production datasets are protected against
unauthorized updates (note that you get to decide what is an appropriate
authorization).  This allows the auditor the check the item off.  (It will
take someone with much more mainframe acumen to debate whether the controls
are adequate.)

One can reasonably argue that what a user does in his own dataset does not
constitute software installation but is merely a normal step in the
development process.  Software is not installed until the development cycle
is complete and management has signed off.