On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 01:29:06 +0200, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:

>Another example for the restrictions imposed by the architecture: the parameter
>passing mechanisms are also limited, for example, no PL/1 descriptors.  This
>was
>a deliberate design decision in 1980 - the architects then wanted to make sure
>that
>all modules can call each other, regardless of language, and that a caller
>needs not
>know the language of the module he or she is calling...

This would seem to pretty much preclude 64-bit exploitation, and
even might have caused problems at a 31-bit conversion.

>... The descriptions of the module
>interfaces are written in a language independent way (in a data dictionary),
>and the
>language specific definitions (normally structure definitions in macros or
>include files)
>are generated from there - for all three languages.

Excellent.  And I suspect some of the assembler wizards hereabouts would
be able to bypass a generative step and parse the structure definitions
directly with an assembler macro.  (Would similar work for PL/I?  I know
it's far beyond the ability of the C preprocessor.)

-- gil