>From DFHSM Storage Adminstration.

EXPIREDDATASETS: Specifying whether to scratch data sets
with expired expiration dates

Explanation: EXPIREDDATASETS(SCRATCH | NOSCRATCH) is an optional
parameter specifying whether or not DFSMShsm should scratch data sets having
explicit expiration dates when the date has passed (data set has expired).
SMS-managed data sets not having explicit expiration dates are expired when they
have met their management class expiration criteria.
Note: Explicit expiration dates can be set by JCL, utility parameters, Data
Class
Expiration parameters, or Data Class Retention parameters. The explicit
expiration date for a data set can be found in the data set's VTOC entry.
SCRATCH specifies that DFSMShsm scratch data sets that have an expired
expiration date when it performs space management and migration cleanup.
NOSCRATCH specifies that DFSMShsm ignore the expiration date. DFSMShsm
processes the data set as if the expiration date has not been reached.
SMS relationship: Parameter applies in some instances to SMS-managed DASD
volumes or data sets.

SETSYS defaults: None.

DFSMShsm defaults: If you do not specify this parameter on any SETSYS
command, the DFSMShsm default is not to scratch the expired data sets.

Typically, ML2 datasets and BACKUP datasets reside on tape. If the datasets are
not expired, no tapes will be released except by recycle or manual deletion.

Once all of the datasets on a particular tape are released (via RECYCLE, HDEL,
or HBDEL), DFHSM will notify the EDM to expire the tape, and return it to the
scratch pool.

Caveat. It is possible to set up DFHSM tape pooling, in which case, the tape
will be returned to the DFHSM pool, instead of the scratch pool and the EDM
will not be invoked.

<snip>
I guess I am showing my lack of experience on this topic, but what does
EXPIREDDATASETS setting have to do with whether or not the tapes are being
released or not?
Am I misunderstanding the book?  From the HSM administrators guide:
"During automatic primary space management, the example scratches expired data
sets that have valid explicit expiration dates in the data set's VTOC entry.
The EXPIREDDATASETS parameter of the SETSYS command specifies the SCRATCH
subparameter indicating for DFSMShsm to scratch any data set that has passed
the expiration date."
Dave Jousma
Assistant Vice President, Mainframe Services david.jou...@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MIĀ  49546 MD RSCB2H p 616.653.8429 f 616.653.2717
</snip>

<snip>