On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:19:38 -0400, Kurt Quackenbush <ku...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>> I've long wished that:
>>
>> o GIMZIP could build its product from non-catalogued data sets, perhaps
>>    unloaded RELFILEs on tape, passed temporary DSNs, or MCS/JCLIN in
>>    PDS members or UNIX files.  I'd like to be able to transform an SMP/E
>>    installation tape to a GIMZIP archive without copying the parts to
>>    transitory catalogued data sets.
>>
>> o The producer's local data set names could be redacted from the
>>    GIMPAF file in order not to expose data set prefixes (which may
>>    be TSO user IDs) to customers.

If the "archid" was used to store the archives in the package, and the "name"
tag in the GIMPAF.XML was of the form "SMPRELF/archid.pax.Z", Would that meet
redaction requirements?  If archid="FMID.Fnn", for example, then name would be
"SMPRELF/FMID.Fnn.pax.Z" (even name="SMPRELF/RFDSNPFX.FMID.Fnn.pax.Z" would be
passable)  Not to discourage DDNAME support, mind you...

>> Both these desiderata could be addressed if GIMZIP supported using
>> DDNAMEs to identify its source data and used the data set names from
>> its control file in the generated GIMPAF.
>
>I understand your desires.  BTW, GIMZIP does support input UNIX files.

LLB, learned something new today.  Absolute pathnames only, though...similar
redaction requirements may apply.

Regards,
Art Gutowski
Compuware