Taking my usual "I am a paranoid" approach, this is an S (Serious Error) rather
than an E (Error) with an RC=12 because it could indicate that you have gotten
maintenance from a "hacked" source. Imagine the chaos that a hacker could do if
they could insert some code into TCPIP. And, although I'm anal about always
getting an RC=0 (to the extent that I do weird and stupid things at times),
many consider RC=4 to be a "don't even bother looking" return code. So RC=12
might be considered a kick in the privates rather than the RC=8's slap in the
face.

OT to SMP/E, but an example of why RC=0 is "nirvana", is our attempt to upgrade
from Endevor 12 to Endevor 15. The people who wrote the "processors" (rules
used to compile and link programs, move source, ...), ignored all messages
which did not cause the program to not produce a load module, regardless of the
rule's RC. Those same processors in R15 now cause the processing to abort. In
the interim, we have greatly downsized. We no longer have any SMEs for Endevor.
My manager is doing this himself and is on the phone to CA a lot due to our
lack of knowledge and no time to learn.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets®

9151 Boulevard 26 • N. Richland Hills • TX 76010
(817) 255-3225 phone •
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com • www.HealthMarkets.com

HealthMarkets® is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the
insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. –The Chesapeake Life Insurance
Company®, Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA
Life and Health Insurance Company.SM