From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of David Andrews
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 4:18 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Restore JES2 spool/chkpt to new volumes?

I have a months-old full volume backup of a set of JES2 spool volumes and their
corresponding checkpoint volumes.  I'd like to get at the content of those
spool volumes.

So I restore those volumes to new throwaway volume serials (starting with
"BEB"), IPL a test LPAR, and start up a JES2 with
        CHKPT1=VOLSER=BEBC1
        CHKPT2=VOLSER=BEBC2
        SPOOLDEF=VOLUME=BEBS
Seemed easy enough.  But...

JES2 on the test LPAR rewards me with:
        $HASP458 FORWARDED CKPT1 DATA SET IS
                 SYS1.HASPCKPT ON JESCK1
        $HASP458 FORWARDED CKPT2 DATA SET IS
                 SYS1.HASPCKPT ON JESCK2
        01 $HASP457 FORWARDED DATA SET NAME FOUND. SHOULD JES2 FORWARD? ('Y' OR
'N')

I reply "N" and JES2 entered the checkpoint reconfiguration dialog, holding the
checkpoint lock while I ponder what to do.  The production folks notice quickly.

What did I do wrong?

--
David Andrews
A. Duda & Sons, Inc.