On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 10:56:50 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> on 10/03/2012 at 04:34 PM, Paul Gilmartin said:
>
>>Sigh.  Morons.  Why did they do that!?  It's like being back in old
>>OS/360 which specified the minimum count field in an RDW as 5.
>
>For VBS, yes, but not for VB.

Are those current or historical?

So if I specify my data set as VB it can contain empty records,
but if I specify it as VBS, it can't (couldn't)?  Still makes no
sense.  I could imagine prohibiting an empty segment _except_
as the only segment of an empty record, but even for that I
see no reason.

Sigh.

Was the null segment in VBS invented (partly) to deal with the
problem of noise record processing on tapes?  Lacking the
null segment, one couldn't write a valid tape with containing
a data set containing only one record where that record has
only one byte of data.  More boundary condition concern.

-- gil