We ran into an unexpected problem during our last Disaster Recovery exercise and I thought I'd share what happened with my peers.

We've migrated most of our WebSphere Application Servers to execute using 64 bit Java, large pages. We do have LFAREA specified at IPL time, but since we were running under zVM for DR, RSM told us that large pages couldn't be allocated, which is documented in the FM. However when we started our WAS servers they immediately failed with;

JVMJ9GC032E System configuration does not support option '-Xlp'
JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc24(2): Failed to initialize; unable to parse command line

We had to manually take the -Xlp option out from deep in the bowels of the WAS configuration environment.

I opened up a Service Request with IBM and they said that they'd open up a requirement to 'enhance' Java not to terminate in this situation.

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

The quiet ones are the ones that change the universe...
The loud ones only take the credit.

Londo Mollari - Babylon 5