>Just one more clarifying comment: the cause was really in a line like
>"514 UDP SYSLOGT1" in the "PORT" section of TCPIP's profile. Removing
>the leading "1" (SYSLOGT is the procedure name) made it work. So that
>leading "1" was the cause. This is probably a reminiscence when SYSLOG
>used to fork, if it used to.

In your initial post, you showed the message you're getting:
  BPXF024I (USRFWKT) Oct  8 11:27:08 BOLSAWBD/USRFWKT SYSLOGT syslogd:
  FSUM1229 syslogd is already active

TFM explains FSUM1229 as follows:
  Explanation: Another instance of syslogd, or possibly some other
program, is already
                           processing the syslogd AF_UNIX socket. The
syslogd AF_UNIX socket is
                           /dev/log, or a different one specified with
the -p command-line parameter.

This does not correlate to the cause you've found. syslogd should write
a message
telling it could not open port 514 with the corresponding reason.

APAR time?

--
Peter Hunkeler