On Tuesday, 23 October 2012 08:17:09 UTC+1, Walter Marguccio  wrote:
> Mike,
> I understand that, for cataloged datasets, the WHILECATALOG keyword,
> specified
> in a single VRS or in a VRS chain, always wins. Am I correct ?

Correct. while a data set is cataloged and matching to the example VRS it will
be VRS retained.

> Ever since we migrated to rmm, we have:
> a) RETPD(5) in EDGPRMxx and
> b) one VRS defined as: dsname('**') WHILECATALOG LOCATION(HOME)
> with this setup, a cataloged dataset with a given RETPD/EXPDT will never be
> deleted.
>
> If I want RETPD/EXPDT to be honored for a dataset, and want to stick to VRSEL
> retention method, I suppose I need to change:
> a) RETPD in EDGPRMxx from 5 to 93000 (keep the data almost forever)
> b) update my only VRS as: dsname('**') UNTILEXPIRED LOCATION(HOME)

Making the above change will ensure that VRS retention is assured until the
EXPDT is reached

> Or, I change the global retention method from VRSEL to EXPDT, and still need
> to change
> a) RETPD in EDGPRMxx from 5 to 93000
> Are my assumptions correct ?

Looks like it. Once the parmlib OPTION RETENTIONMETHOD(RETPD) is in use, any
volumes that use this retention method will not be considered by VRSEL
processing and only the volume EXPDT used to determine when EXPROC will expire
the volume.
I am sceptical about using RETPD(93000) as a default retention for all new tape
data sets. But, if that works for you . . . . .

I hope that helps you,

Mike Wood