I have a process that has been working great until today. All of a sudden I am
getting a IEE707I message when attempting to issue a MVS START command from my
program. The funny thing is, my APF authorized program fails for some starts
and not others and I use an identical assembler command to issue the different
starts. Here is the message I am getting:

IEE707I S        NOT EXECUTED

Here is what is says in the messages manual:

IEE707Icm yyy NOT EXECUTED
Explanation:
Before processing command cm yyy, MVS presented the command to all subsystems
that monitor commands. Based on the response returned, MVS did not process the
command for one of the following reasons:

One or more subsystems intentionally failed the command with a return code of
8.
One or more subsystems issued a return code that was not valid.
The command installation exit issued a return code of 8.

System programmer response:
Determine why the subsystem or the installation exit routine rejected the
command. The return code could be a valid, non-error return code.

My questions are: How do I determine what subsystems or installation exit
routine rejected the command? I resist IPLing because it might fix the problem
and then I will never know what went wrong. What changes could cause this
problem?

Note: To rule out any recent changes to my application causing the problem, I
attempted to execute a version that was two releases old and got the same
result.

The only difference I can see between the start commands that are failing and
the ones that are working is that the ones that fail have binary data in the
command (enclosed in apostropies). The ones that work have lower case
characters (enclosed in apostrophies).

Here are the commands:

S TESTAS,A=' ?    Q ',V=V8M2  <== Fails on an IEE707I message

S TESTSY,V=V8M2,PM='/S0W1/var/log/%Y/%m/%d/errors' <=== works

I do not know where to turn... Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.