From:   "R.S." <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU,
Date:   11/10/2012 08:25 AM
Subject:        Re: z10BC Memory Upgrade All-But Impossible
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

W dniu 2012-11-10 01:59, Edward Jaffe pisze:

> A memory upgrade is both hardware (the physical DIMMs) and microcode
> (enabling the memory).

I vaguely remember that EU just have prohibited such approach.
The sentention was that if you BOUGHT (not leased or borrowed) the
hardware, then it is ALL YOURS and no feature can be limited by vendors
locks in microcode.
Note, in this case a customer wants to buy some parts and insert it into
HIS OWN piece of hardware.

There is similar situation with DASD arrays. 10 years ago in order to
change something you had to know "service passwords" (who remembers
hrchodm-forcibly? ;-) ). Nowadays the password is dynamically generated
for given s/n and period of time. HOWEVER, when warranty expire,
customer may request to unlock the device and since then he can do a
maintenance on once own (or using 3rd party services).

In general it's very important issue regarding IP (Intelectual Property)
and customers rights: Do you want to  decide what channel you want to
see on your TV set or you accept that vendor can lock some of them? Or
maybe after 4 years you will have to dispose your TV set and buy new one
just because of microcode "time bomb"? Or maybe your printer will not
print everything you want, but partially what secret service want? Or
you cannot watch a movie, bought in Tokyo, just because you live in
Warsaw?

BTW: all of the examples above are not fictitious (some minor etails
mismatched).

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

P.S. Fortunately I still can buy memory to my PC without asking vendor
for permission.