On Friday 09 November 2012 19:59:33 Edward Jaffe wrote:
> Those of you with z10BC machines waiting for the z12BC to come out had
> better learn to make do with what you have.
>
> Keep in mind that z10BC is just _one_ generation removed from the current
> z114 "business class" machine. Nevertheless, hardware MES were withdrawn
> earlier this year and microcode MES are announced withdrawn as of June
> 2013.
>
> A memory upgrade is both hardware (the physical DIMMs) and microcode
> (enabling the memory). The only way to get additional memory for a z10
> these days is to buy it on the used market. And, IBM is charging a premium
> price for the "magic screwdriver" to enable this memory: $8K/GB! Thus, a
> 16GB memory upgrade would cost $128K in services PLUS the cost of the
> memory itself! (FYI. You can buy a brand new z114 machine for that...)

        This reminds me of the System/3 that I worked on in my college days;
the
school purchased an upgrade to larger DASD (for I don't know how much), and
the field engineer's implementation was to open the DASD drawer and clip off
the wire loop that prevented the access arm from extending all the way into
the drive's inner tracks...

Leslie