I suspect that a front end that makes r---r parametric, but a small
integer--retries will , as a practical matter, solve your problem.

What you of course need are data, an EFD of the differences between
successive sign-on times T(i) and T(i+1).  This distribution may
differ greatly from one application to another; and, crucially, it
will be change for the same application as  the number of its users
grows.

There are some standard q

On 11/12/12, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:
> 1. A given PassTicket may only be used once (source
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cicsts/v3r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.
> ibm.cics.ts31.doc%2Fdfht5%2Ftopics%2Fdfht516.htm)
>
> 2. The PassTicket algorithm is deterministic: given the same time of day
> (resolution one second), the same userid, the same application ID, and the
> same secured signon application key, the algorithm will always produce the
> same PassTicket (experimentation reveals this to be true).
>
> Consider a distributed application. Some large number of automated clients
> sign on to some service at quasi-random intervals. A perfect application
> for
> PassTickets, right? But if a second client tries to log on within the same
> TOD second as an earlier client, the sign-on will be rejected because the
> generated PassTicket has already been used. What is the client to do? The
> obvious answer is "wait a second and try again" but that approach has some
> obvious shortcomings, one of which being there is no guarantee that THAT
> PassTicket has not already been used.
>
> Yes, one solution would be a unique userid for each client, but suppose
> this
> is some "mass image rollout" application or there is some other reason why
> unique userids are not desirable.
>
> What to do?
>
> Charles

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA