Gil,

If I read your entry correctly you are incorrect. OS/360 *DID* have enq/deq facilities (on the same system ) So on the same system you could simply not delete a data set that was in use. The cross system is more or less true albeit a small exception for GDG's but that was at the cvol level not dataset,

Ed