In article <5194675327864350.wa.tim.haressrc.myflorida....@listserv.ua.edu> you
write:
>I'm sure this has been asked and answered somewhere in the dusty
>archives of this list, but I honestly couldn't figure out a way to
>formulate a search for it that would return mostly useful
>information....
>
>Does anyone know the historical/technical reason for some products, (at
>our shop CA-Datacom and possibly SAS SHARe) requiring you to START a
>task, to STOP their started task?   I know it's ridiculous of me but it
>drives me nuts to have to start something when I want to stop something
>else.
>
>I've written code of my own which handles the STOP and MODIFY commands,
>so I know that it's not extremely difficult;  it's pretty well
>documented in the manuals too if I recall.   I wrote the code years ago,
>so it's not like the ability just became available, either.
>
>So - anyone know why this particular technique is used?  Is there some
>technical reason for it?

Tim et al,  This is a pure WAG:

The START command has been around a LOT longer than the STOP command, so
if A is running and you can't say STOP A, then you START B, B starts
running, locates A, taps A on the shoulder, A recognizes this tap and
ends, B ends normally.

It became the standard way to end a never-ending task.  Then someone
invented STOP.

--
Rich Greenberg  Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 941 378 2097
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67