This post appeared in Google Groups but not in the IBM-MAIN archives. I guess
Ioanh - whatever his or her proper identification is - is an IBM-MAIN novice
and doesn't understand the filtering process.

Note that everything from the original post is referenced in this response.

Ioanh

Queries involving z/OS Communications Server (CS), both the IP and SNA
components, are best asked in the IBMTCP-L list:

For IBMTCP-L subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO IBMTCP-L

> Passing Logmod in default TN3270 USSTAB

There is no such thing as a "default TN3270 USSTAB".

> Enter Your Userid:
> Password:                              New password:
> Application:

> We have several systems that are using the default MSG10 screen for TN3270:

This appears to be what you imagine is an USS message 10. It is not.

Read through this section from the z/OS CS IP Configuration Guide

2.2.1.4.15 Using the Telnet solicitor or USS logon screen

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/f1a1b3b1/2.2.1.4.15

Note well the conjunction "or" not "and"!

So now you know that this image is presented by the "Telnet solicitor". The
"Telnet solicitor" was a feature of TELNET support as part of the original
"TCP/IP for VM" product in the early 1990s which was "ported" to become "TCP/IP
for MVS" and evolved to become z/OS CS IP.

If I cared to check I think I'd discover that USS support became part of the
SNA-oriented CS IP TELNET component when VTAM was merged with "TCP/IP for MVS"
to become z/OS Communications Server, a number of years after the birth of
"TCP/IP for MVS".

> Is there anyway possible to pass a logmode in this screen?

No - but don't take my word for it; check the reference I gave you.

> If not, then only alternative is to define a different TN3270 port (and get
> firewall approval) and specifying a customized USSTAB.

What about minimally taking the sample USS table from SEZAINST, EZBTPUST, and
integrating it with your TELNET PROFILE data set according to this section in
the z/OS CS IP Configuration Reference?

16.3.29 USSTCP statement

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/f1a1b4b1/16.3.29

You should do this on a test system during normal working hours or "borrow" one
of your many production systems out of working hours if you don't have a test
system.

That way you can avoid any run-ins with the "masters of the universe".

An alternative is to set up a test client workstation and use the IP address of
the interface of the workstation as a "client identifier" on the USSTCP
statement until you get it to work as you want. All you need do is follow up
the hints offered by the manual text.

Note that the sample contains the simple USS LOGON command which will enable
you to specify a mode table entry name - your "logmod" I assume.

Sooner or later - and the sooner the better - you will want to exploit USS
facilities and provide USS commands tailored to your installation - and USS
messages providing handy information for your clients.

-

The next topic is to ask why you need to change the mode table entry. Long,
long ago I used so to structure my USS LOGON commands that my clients had the
opportunity to select the model of 3270 display by appending a mode table entry
name to the userid. However long ago this became unnecessary when all client
implementations and 3270 applications supported the dynamic selection of
presentation space dimensions.

Perhaps you could explain why you perceive the need for the client workstation
user to specify the mode table entry name - something of a chore if it turns
out not to be necessary.

Chris Mason