At 15:31 -0600 on 12/05/2012, Mark Zelden wrote about Re: Historical question regarding the stop command:

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 16:17:05 -0500, Gord Tomlin <gt.ibm.li...@actionsoftware.com> wrote:

Yes the session was in READY mode, as I stated in my previous post.

Then that is the problem.  You didn't read the OP carefully.  You have to
be in ISPF when the STOP command is issued and it keeps you from
getting to the READY prompt, which is what the objective was.  If you
are already at the READY prompt it is too late.

Or as I stated in a prior reply, you must get out of READY mode by issuing a command that will return to READY mode when it is done.