Shmuel wrote:

<begin extract>
Why would AMODE have any efffect on the resolution of address
constants? Specifically, why would it have any effect on A-cons (you
shouldn't be using V-cons for data)?
<end extract>

This view may well be appropriate and adequate to the things Shmuel
wants to do with data.  My shared-tables system proceeds otherwise.

Two of its principal table types  are generated respectively by 242
and 1007 macros.  Instances of a table type sometimes include a
particular subtable/extension and sometimes do not; and I accordingly
make heavy use of V-type ADCONs in generating them.  (Currently, the
HLASM supports an AD but no VD, and this has required be to do things
that are less transparent than I should like them to be.)

Moreover, as Shmuel ought properly to have garnered from this thread,
the use of

|          DC   A(<whatever>)

instead of

|          DC   AD(<whatever>)

does make great trouble abover the bar.   I suspect. however, that he
did/does know this; he was, as  too often, making a debater's point,
not a substantive one.

JOAT were better rendered JOATAMON.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA