From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of R.S.
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: dsf to write over entire volume

W dniu 2012-12-12 18:04, Don Williams pisze:
> ICKDSF is not intended to erase volumes.
But it can erase the volumes, can't it?

> Now days, DASD volumes tend to be "virtual".

Virtual volume still contain real data. Excluding passing away "structured log
file" technology (RVA, SVA), when you erase the logical
(virtual) volume, you overwrite the real data.

> Only the DASD controller may know on which real hard drives your
> logical volumes are actually located and spread across.

Not only controller. Sometimes smart folks also know that. I'm not so smart,
but I can tell you what is the relationship between physical discs and logical
volumes in my array. I have it documented, and it can be checked/confirmed.

> To be sure that your data is actually erased, you may need to consult
> with the vendor or other expert of your particular type of DASD.

It need not to be an expert. Last but not least: when you are going to dispose
whole array, the choice is obvious: erase all logical volumes, isn't it?

> If the DASD is encrypted, you may be able to "erase" the encryption keys
> making the DASD effectively unreadable.
Good assumption, unfortunately bad implementation. There are errors in "secure
erase" implementation, at least for some disks, AFAIK. There nothing worse than
false certainty in such area.

My €0.02
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
Tre tej wiadomoci moe zawiera informacje prawnie chronione Banku
przeznaczone wycznie do uytku subowego adresata. Odbiorc moe by jedynie

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is
intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be
received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you
are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorised to
forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying,
distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be
punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender
immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete
permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to
hard drive.

BRE Bank SA, 00-950 Warszawa, ul. Senatorska 18, tel. +48 (22) 829 00 00, fax
+48 (22) 829 00 33, www.brebank.pl, e-mail: i...@brebank.pl
Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru
Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88.
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2012 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
wpacony) wynosi 168.410.984 zotych.