On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:30:24 -0800, Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com>
wrote:

>I never saw a reply to Lizette's post. We also have an interest in the
>same topic. We want to encourage members of the technical staff to manage
>our sandbox LPARs rather than pester--er, request--Operations to shut
>down/IPL systems that 'we' own. The problem is how to allow these folks to
>manage sandbox LPARs only. Using our fine automation product together with
>the V XCF...REIPL command, they can reIPL a system on their own. Or we can
>write our own IPL command that does a SAF check before calling BCPII to do
>the deed.
>
>The difficulty occurs when a system is not currently running and/or when
>the sysres volume needs to be switched from its last used value to a
>different one. We have not found a way for BCPII to even query the current
>IPL profile, let alone switch to an alternate profile. Without this
>capability, we cannot insist that our folks do their own laundry.

I'm not an expert in this, Skip, having never actually used BCPii, and upon
leaving IBM I lost access to much of the info that would help me to provide a
more definitive answer. But I had to do some research into it for purposes of
the Common Criteria certification for z/OS, so I'll attempt an answer based on
fading memories and the public doc that I have found. I'm not sure this is
information you know already, but if not it might help.

First, I'm curious why your IPL command would need to do a SAF check. There
should be adequate SAF checking already built into the BCPii APIs, from what I
remember. And the descriptions in MVS Callable Services for HLL indicate the
SAF checks that are done.

Next, it's critical to understand what books you need to be looking at.  MVS
Callable Services for HLL,
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA2C170/CCONTENTS?DT=20110614133049
 or http://preview.tinyurl.com/bu8epwb describes how to invoke the functions,
but as far as I know it does not describe the data objects and their formats
that you need to use. The data objects and their contents are really the
critical pieces of information, as I understand it.

For that, you'll need to read and understand System z Application Programming
Interfaces, SB10-7030 (currently, I think, -15),
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg2b09e422f170ffc9c85257075004bde92&aid=1
 or http://preview.tinyurl.com/cf4a93e which describes all the details.

For example, from that latter manual I can see that there is a way to see what
the last-used activation profile for an image was (as it is a field returned by
-some- query), and there is a way to retrieve the contents of an activation
profile, and (I think) to change the contents of an activation profile, and to
specify which activation profile should be used for the image.

I have not taken the time to try to understand all the relationships between
the services and the data objects, but I -think- that everything you need is in
those two manuals. It won't necessarily be easy to put all the info together to
understand it, though.

Searching SB10-7030 for the string "activation profile" should prove helpful.

--
Walt