Donald,

Confronted with a similar issue in the past, what I decided to do was :

(1) Construct a variety of cell pools with upper size boundaries on various
lengths - eg 256 bytes, 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K and 32K
(2) When an element is to be added to the table, determine the correct cell
pool to use based on its size
(3) Each element is then described by a small element descriptor (another cell
pool) that includes the address of the cell that contains the data and the cell
pool ID it came from
(4) When you update/delete a cell, each element descriptor has enough
self-contained information to release the existing cell back to the cell pool
it came from

Your code could also keep track of the number of cells in each cell pool and
report statistics that enable you to tune the PCELLCT and SCELLCT

I was considering this but was not sure it was worth the effort.