Tom,

Thank you for the silent correction.  The 'exa' in 'exabytes' is
certainly a radical improvement over 'exo', which was not
confidence-inspiring.

That said, it seems to me that for these magnitudes the binary prefix
'exbi' should be used.  We have

(2^10)^6 = 115_2921_5046_0684_6976  exbibytes

(10^3)^6 = 100_0000_0000_0000_0000  exabytes

and there is thus a non-trivial 13+% difference between these two numbers.

All this began with the notion of the rough equivalence of 2^10 = 1024
and 10^3 = 1000, which is a 2+% difference.

The practical difference between a kibibyte and a kilobyte was thus
unimportant, particularly in discussions among highly numerate people
who understood what sort of approximation they were using.

Things have, however, changed.  We are now often dealing with the
easily confused  innumerate, and the differences are large enough to
make dissimulation attractive to some, certainly not all, marketing
types.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA