On 4 January 2013 12:37, Neil Duffee <nduf...@uottawa.ca> wrote:
> Caveat:  I get the daily digest so this has likely been discussed to death
> already.
>
> Tony:  try the unsecure version ie.  http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com, and you'll
> get re-directed to a secure, sign-on location :
> https://www-304.ibm.com/usrsrvc/account/userservices/jsp/login [snip]  I know
> that both my FireFox bookmarks from 2011 are like that:
> http://www.ibm.com/ibmlink & http://www.ibm.com/support/servicerequest/.
> Both will re-direct you to the sign-on page before passing you through to the
> secure page(s).

Thanks. The problem is that it's a current  IBM page that contains the
offending link - not some old bookmark of mine. This is the page that
I get from clicking on a PTF number in the APAR text, that gives me
the choice of ShopzSeries or IBMLINK. The IBMLINK link is the
https://www.ibmlink.ibm.com one that has a bad cert.

I have great trouble understanding why a company like IBM allows this
kind of thing to happen repeatedly. As Firefox says, "Don't add an
exception unless you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't
use trusted identification. Legitimate banks, stores, and other public
sites will not ask you to do this."

Tony H.