On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:54:41 +0000, Lund James E <james-l...@tamu.edu> wrote:
>I have been looking into the "LOAD from Removable Media or Server" option
>available for remotely using these utilities, but, for lack of documentation,
>I'm unable to get the environment setup properly. Has anyone had success using
>an FTP server as a LOAD source?
>
>I do have a PMH opened with IBM (15964,004). They are telling me my SEs need
>to be on the same network as the locally-accessible FTP server (we're not
>comfortable doing this and were under the impression it was a *bad* thing to
>do). We are looking for a better explanation, or even a better method to
>manage these utilities.

Too bad the books don't explain this well.  The SE and the FTP server must be
able to talk to each other, but they do NOT have to be in the same subnet
(local network).  As long as you assign valid "public" IP addresses (i.e. for
your intranet) and set the SE network configuration to point to a router that
is plugged into your HMC-SE network, you can load from an FTP server anywhere
in your network.

I would suggest that you use the firewall functions of that router to allow
only outbound TCP connections from the SE, as the SE uses "passive" ftp.  Of
course, if you have an application firewall, it will handle active and passive
ftp, opening the needed ports on demand, in the correct directions.

Alan Altmark
IBM Senior Managing System z IT Consultant