Smallest M/F with z/OS, z/VM, etc. seems to be too big for a lot of small or
startup developers.
These developers may have great ideas for slick new apps which could be
developed on the M/F.  The catch is they can't afford the minimum
configuration.
What's their solution?  Probably to develop on a cheaper less robust
platform.  Later, when they have grown, it's not worth it to make a M/F
version.
zPDT may help, but there seems to be a large gap between the largest zPDT
and the smallest System z; therefore the transition between the two may not
be feasible.

Over the years, most management has learned how to find all those hidden
costs, so they can calculate reasonable TCO for both M/F and PC farms.

In salaries surveys, it is clear that M/F staff get paid better that PC
staff.  However, we M/Fers need to be careful about saying fewer of us are
needed for support.  There are companies with a staff 10 or less that
successfully manage farms of many many thousands of PC images.

I think a lot of customers are over a barrel, because they cannot afford the
conversion or the conversion would be too disruptive. Some, not all, vendors
take advantage of that.

Yes, I'm biased for z/OS because my z/OS expertise is much better that my
zLinux skills.

Don