st...@trainersfriend.com (Steve Comstock) writes:
> Actually, my understanding was that it went the
> other way: lots of HASP code was lifted into
> ASP. There was probably some borrowing in the
> other direction, too, I would imagine.
>
> (For the relative newcomers in the group,
>  HASP was the ancestor of JES2 and ASP
>  was the ancestor of JES3)
>
> Perhaps Lynn has some historic background available.

my wife was in the gburg JES group for awhile ... before being con'ed
into going to POK to be responsible for loosely-coupled architecture
... (where she did peer-coupled shared data architecture ... saw very
little uptake except for IMS hot-standby, until sysplex & parallel
sysplex)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#shareddata

one of her tasks in the JES group was part of the ASP catchers to turn
it into JES3 ... she did a lot of the initial type-1 documentation.

she then did JESUS ... JES Unified System ... the essential features
from both JES2 & JES3 that the respective customers couldn't live w/o
... internal politics prevented it from getting very far.

old post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011d.html#73 Multiple Virtual Memory

with lots of old tales ... justification for adding virtual
memory to MVT, other stuff. I had done various stuff with HASP
as undergraduate in the 60s.

Simpson, Crabtree and others at Houston Manned Space Center, used their
experience on Moonlight (DCS) system for HASP (Houston Automatic
Spooling Priority System). At the same time, west region used their
experience with Moonlight to create ASP.

some more discussion of "Project Moonlight" (effort to extend life of
7090/7094) ... says somebody's notes from a share 79 presentation:
http://computer-programming-forum.com/10-asm370/c0d31d8bd52f759c.htm
session O441 - The History of HASP and JES2 ... SHARE 79
http://www.redbug.org/dba/sharerpt/share79/o441.html

I was has at the March 1968 houston share meeting ... I had done a whole
lot of work on HASP & MFT ... but I was also doing a lot of work on cp67
... I was at the session for the science center announcement for
(virtual machine) cp67 ... but also went to HASP sessions.

other trivia mentioned in above ... refers to HASP networking turning
into JES2 networking coming from a univ. for long time the code running
on the internal network nodes still carried "TUCC" identifier in all the
source cards. problem was thatq the networking support JES2 inherited
used left-over entries in the 255-slot psuedo device table and would
trash traffic where either the origin &/or destination was defined in
the table (usually limited to around 160 entries). the internal network
was very quickly more than 255 entries ... so required limiting
HASP/JES2 nodes to boundaries to keep them from excessively trashing
traffic. The other characteristic was that header had mixed up JES2 and
networking information ... and traffic between different JES2 systems
could result in system crashes and requiring MVS to be rebooted.

misc. past posts mentioning HASP &/or JES2
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#hasp

misc. past posts mentioning internal network
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet