Removing the backup requirement (ADMIN/USER BACKUP=YES/NO/BOTH) and
AUTOBACKUP(YES/NO) will have absolutely no effect on currently backed up files.
It will only prevent new backups.

Look at the MGMTCLAS values for :

BACKUP  FREQUENCY,    # BACKUPS (DS EXISTS),  # BACKUPS (DS DELETED),  RETAIN
DAYS ONLY BACKUP

Which may contain the answer.

I normally keep 1 backup copy for a short period of time after the original
dataset is deleted.

Of course, the brute force method will always work to delete the backups.

HTH,

<snip>
I already have the list of backups and I can create a million+ line JCL but
would prefer not to. It would be best if HSM would simply delete the backups
that are no longer valid once I change the Management class definition. I don't
know about you, but that seems quite reasonable to me.

However, this is not the case. Removing the backup requirement from the
Management class definition, I am still left with all the backups even after
HSM Space Management and a run of EXPIREBV.

Is there really no better solution to this?
</snip>