If memory serves, the CA1 TMC uses 16 bits to store the blksize.  Even when
treated as unsigned, it won't show more than 65535.

On z/OS 1.11 system, the DFDSS default for DUMP tape blocks is 65520.  I
doubt if it was reduced for 1.12.  There is an installation options exit
which can change the default to 32760.  If your system is actually writing
16K blocks, then something at your site (such as the DCB parameter on the DD
statement) is causing that.

On the other hand, the HSM Storage Administration manual mentions 16K blocks
for ML2 tapes so it might not be DFDSS.