On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:04:10 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:

>Gil would know the answer to the first half of this ...
>
>I'm not a UNIX expert. My sole claim to UNIX expertise is that I once
>*managed* a bunch of UNIX experts. I seem to recall that in UNIX you can do
>something like the following -- and I'm using the wrong terms, but hopefully
>you can get what I mean. Suppose you have an executable X. You can set its
>security such that only user FOO can run it. FOO is not a real person.
>Instead, you have a program Y that you set up such that it runs with the
>authority of FOO. So then a user can potentially run program Y which in turn
>runs program X, but that user cannot himself run X all by itself.
>
>Is my recollection correct?

Yes.  FOO must be defined as a user, but you needn't disclose its password.
There are many undesirable consequences to running X with authority of
FOO.  File permissions for the first.

>z/OS and RACF don't have an equivalent facility, do they?

since "MVS _is_ UNIX", you can do the same with z/OS.

Or, with RACF, limit access to the linklib containing FOO.

-- gil